"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." Hippocrates

"One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarter keeps your doctor alive." Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb


"It is a matter of common knowledge that any processing that foods undergo serves to make them more harmful than unprocessed foods." McDonald's Corporation legal statement, shown in the documentary Supersize Me.


“Control the oil and you control entire nations; control the food and you control the people.”~ Henry Kissinger

Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Thankful Thanksgiving

I am thrilled to say that I survived Thanksgiving with no bread or potatoes! I was really getting worried about  how I was going to handle this holiday. Maybe, I thought, I picked the wrong time of year to start a low-carb diet! Geez. What was I thinking??

Since I don't eat turkey or meat (no sorry, no crazy PETA person here, I just can't digest the meat...believe me if I could, I'd inhale it), I decided on Worthington Wham--(vegtarian ham). (As I should mention, technically I'm a "pescatarian"--I eat vegetarian plus fish). I wanted it to feel somewhat like Thanksgiving and those traditional foods so I found a breadless "dressing" recipe (I will have to post it later) and it actually turned out well. It has sage and that's what Thanksgiving smells like to me anyhow. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

I also had the Mashed Cauliflower with cream cheese. OMG. This is my new favorite food. I think I will be able to happily give up potatoes for this. And that is really saying something because my Irish chickadee butt LOVED potatoes. 

Of course I had green beans and salad. I was really quite happy with it. I enjoyed not having alot of leftovers too. When I was growing up we used to have "turkey surprise" everyday for a week after the holidays...you know, some new concoction made up with the leftover turkey each day.  I did have leftover dressing which I am enjoying a "slice" of with eggs in the morning for breakfast. :)

I stayed away from the sweets and all the high-carb foods my mother-in-law had and I'm feeling quite proud of myself. Now...Bring on Christmas!! I think I can handle it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment