"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." Hippocrates

"One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarter keeps your doctor alive." Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb


"It is a matter of common knowledge that any processing that foods undergo serves to make them more harmful than unprocessed foods." McDonald's Corporation legal statement, shown in the documentary Supersize Me.


“Control the oil and you control entire nations; control the food and you control the people.”~ Henry Kissinger

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Irritated to say the least

I noticed that an "acquaintance" posted on Facebook today that she was giving up carbs for the new year in an effort to lose weight. I was intrigued. Yay for her! I read through the comments that people left for her and they were all negative! You know the usual comments of "that's so unhealthy", "your body has to have carbs", "people who do that fail everytime". UGH. I left a comment congratulating her on a good choice and that it was quite healthy, my dr had recommended to me to eat this way, and I'd lost 42 lbs. so far. Needless to say the ugly comments continued to her. Yes, my comment was completely ignored by everyone. She stated she was simply replacing rice, potatoes, bread with salad.  A great start I thought!

People just annoy me with their ignorance. I really should just let it go. The people who say these negative things and refuse to encourage her, in my past experiece, are people who don't want you to succeed.  And we've all got those kind of people in our lives...who for whatever selfish, self-centered reason try to help us fail.

"It's so unhealthy". Seriously? You should read some medical literature before you start making broad comments like that. Eating all those sugar and starch carbs are definitely NOT healthy. "Your body has to have carbs". Umm, hello. What do you think fruits, veggies, and milk are? yeah! And we eat alot of those on low-carb. "People who do that fail everytime". Oh Please! Look up some statistics, honey. 95% of ALL people on ALL diet plans fail. Seriously.  One oft-cited study has found 95% of people who diet to lose weight put it back on within two to three years. Some subsequent studies have ignored this finding, but none has set out to challenge it.  In a study published in 2003 in the journal Pediatrics, researchers at Harvard Medical School found that adolescents who dieted put on more weight than those who did not diet over a three year period.  Bottom line to this: It's not easy making lifestyle changes, but yes, it is possible!

I just had to vent alittle here and get out the frustration. I can remember a time when things like this would have sent me into a "tizzy" and I'd find myself compulsive eating and/or overeating.  Not any more. Comments like this just make me smile and look down at my shrinking belly. Yeah. And it actually encourages me to keep eating low-carb. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment