"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." Hippocrates

"One-quarter of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-quarter keeps your doctor alive." Hieroglyph found in an ancient Egyptian tomb


"It is a matter of common knowledge that any processing that foods undergo serves to make them more harmful than unprocessed foods." McDonald's Corporation legal statement, shown in the documentary Supersize Me.


“Control the oil and you control entire nations; control the food and you control the people.”~ Henry Kissinger

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Farewell to Cheese

Last night Jeff and I had dinner at a small cafe, Wildflour. I had eaten at the original restaurant years ago and thought this cafe was like that one. True, it was originally started by the same owners, but was sold a few years ago to new buyers.  It was not as good as the original I have to admit.  I think in the future I will go to the original Wildflour.  It was not a bad meal by any means. They do have vegetarian options on their menu.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I ordered the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Well, other than, "oh yum, my favorite comfort food".  Or atleast it used to be. The grilled cheese sandwich was a cheese-fest! And as if that wasn't enough cheese, they loaded cheese into the tomato soup.  Now a few months ago I would have said YES! BRING IT ON!  But my food choices have dramatically changed, especially in the last two months. 

What possessed Jeff to order the same thing is beyond me. He has certainly had more than his fair share of issues with dairy in the past. We'll just say this was quite a learning lesson for the both of us.

I began to feel sick before I got out of the restaurant. :(  I went next door to JoAnn Fabrics to look around, and my stomach rebelled at the gobs of cheese. Thank goodness JoAnn's has a bathroom!  Ugh. Not going into details, let's just say I'm finished with cheese.  But I got off rather easy compared to poor Jeff.

He woke me up an hour after we had went to bed with the most incredible pain of his life. I got him to the ER and told the Dr's that I thought it was from the cheese-fest we had for dinner. After all, he has been eating rather "clean" for the last month on his new vegetarian diet.  I hate it when people "poo-poo" me like I'm an idiot, especially those in the medical profession. Sometimes I just feel like screaming.  I dispise the attitude that people give me--they act like since the number on the scale is obviously so high, my IQ must be so low!

But I digress...after several tests, they concluded that it was a gall bladder attack and he had eaten too much fatty cheese. (oh shock!) After giving him: a GI cocktail, nexium in his IV, and a shot of morphine, he was finally able to get some relief.

The conclusion is:  Adios Cheese. You have not been a good amigo. We have tolerated your issues for too long and this was the final straw. No longer will we worry about the animal protein that is clogging our arteries & jacking up our cholesterol levels. No more will I have to keep extra toilet paper in stock for your visits. You have hereby been banished from our house and from our dinner plates. Have a nice life someplace else.

No comments:

Post a Comment